Arising from Travels Abroad, is the Postcards from Abroad Series. Travels Abroad is essentially a chatty travel journal, crammed full of colour photos. But there were other lovely black-and-white photos from those trips, which didn’t fit into the format of that book. This gave rise to four companion books, including this one, Postcards From Jordan: A visual celebration, in black-and-white, of this land of contrasts.
Max and Sue Hoppe have been married for four decades, and as long as either can remember, Petra in Jordan has been high on both of their bucket lists. So when they were planning their second visit to The Emirates in 2015, they decided to see if it would be possible to go there. Imagine their delight, when it turned out to be cheaper to fly Cape Town-Amman-Dubai return than Jo’burg-Dubai direct! The full journey is covered in Travels Abroad.
But through these beautiful black-and-white images you will :
- Wander the bustling streets of old Downtown Amman
- Discover Jordan’s famous confectionery
- Take an early morning bus to picturesque Wadi Musa
- Walk in breathless awe through Little Petra and Petra itself
- Ride horses and camels through ancient rock clefts
- Explore Wadi Rum, the beautiful desert area with spectacular rock outcrops
- Sleep over in the desert, in a Bedouin tent
- Visit Madaba, known for its historic mosaics and churches
- Look over the Jordan Rift Valley, from Mount Nebo
- Swim in the Dead Sea
- Explore the ancient ruins on the Citadel in Amman
Jordan is a delightful, friendly country, with many layers of culture, a place to enjoy ancient history and modern development, and a place that beckons visitors to return regularly!
Enjoy the journeys!